Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Changing definition of "roofspace" in Permitted Development

David Lees, modified 1 Year ago.

Changing definition of "roofspace" in Permitted Development

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 09/11/22 Recent Posts

Class B.1(C)ii controls increases in roof space, limiting increase to 50cubic m. Obviously written to control Dormer extensions. We are encountering use of the definition to control flat roofed extensions. ie, the blue hatch in the image is all being classed as roofspace on a bungalow with existing ceiling slope in existing rooms,. Even ground floor volume above eaves line is being classed as existing roofspace, so that the upper part of the extension is all roofspace and limited to 50cubic m. Views on whether this is appropriate or not please, with reasoning. This never used to be a consideration in previous Certificates of lawfullness applications and was ignored.

richard white, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Changing definition of "roofspace" in Permitted Development

Advocate Posts: 212 Join Date: 26/11/18 Recent Posts

I would certainly agree that the existing roofspace should be identifed externally, not internally. So the raised internal ceiling is not relevant IMO.

I would also agree that a new extension with a roof that ties into an existing roof can reasonably be described as a development which includes an alteration of the existing roof.

But I have always taken the view that a develoment only needs one planning permission, and IF this development falls within the limitations of Class A then it has the one permission it needs.

Parts of the development might also be described by other classes, such as Class B, and it might breach the limitations in Class B, but all that means is that it doesn't also have permission under Class B. I don't think that conclusion can invalidate a seperate permission under Class A.