Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Prior approval decision (larger extension) after 42 days

Glen C, modified 1 Year ago.

Prior approval decision (larger extension) after 42 days

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 03/02/23 Recent Posts

Hi all,

I'm aware that under Class A, an applicant may commence works on a "larger extension" if the Council fail to determine a prior approval application within 42 days of receipt (assuming of course the development meets all other conditions of the GPDO).

However, what happens if the Council issue a refusal (because it received an on-time objection) AFTER the 42 day period but before the works commence?

Would any decision notice (regardless of outcome / objecitons recieved) essentially be invalid if issued after 42 days?

What do LPAs do with apllications were the 42 deadline has been missed....how are such cases "closed"?

Thank you!

Glen

richard white, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Prior approval decision (larger extension) after 42 days

Advocate Posts: 212 Join Date: 26/11/18 Recent Posts

A late refusal notice is arguably invalid BUT if it is not challenged in a timely fashion it can arguably acquire force in time.

(I can't recall any prior approval cases, but there is a long line of other cases re the validity of various other planning decisions which suggest this could happen.)

Obviously from an LPA point of view the correct procedure is to avoid this situation....

From a homeowner/developer's point of view I would suggest first is to query the dates and documents with the Council involved. Perhaps the application was not received when you think, or perhaps not all of the information was submitted at first, perhaps someone agreed additional time. If it still appears that the refusal was out of time then you might consider an appeal as the next step. I would be extremely cautious about just starting work on the basis that the notice is arguably invalid without questioning/challenging the notice and settling this.