Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Hot food takeaways - 'utopian' planning powers to manage them

thumbnail
Georgina Brightwell, modified 11 Months ago.

Hot food takeaways - 'utopian' planning powers to manage them

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 13/03/23 Recent Posts

Hi everyone ,

The LGA have been approached by the Obesity Health Alliance who are interested to find out more about what powers local authorities currently have in the planning system to stop the proliferation of hot food takeaways and junk food advertising, and in an ideal world what powers they would like to have?

I know SPD's have historically, and the changes to the use class system in 2020 have recently, gone some way to stem hot food takeaways, but what more could be done? And how could planning or local authorities play a role in preventing junk food advertising (particularly near schools)?

If anyone is able to point to some interesting case studies, or wants to discuss their 'utopian' scenario please reply below.

Thanks!

paul lewin, modified 11 Months ago.

RE: Hot food takeaways - 'utopian' planning powers to manage them

New Member Posts: 8 Join Date: 06/04/20 Recent Posts

Hello, the London Plan has a policy E9 which seeks to not permit new takeaways within 400 metres of an existing or proposed primary or secondary school. It also encourages them, where permitted, to comply with the Healthier Catering Commitment standards.

In Brent we have a policy that has operated for 7 years doing roughly the same, but which was updated in 2022 to also include further education institutions within 400 metres (Policy BE5). We also do not permit new takeaways within our primary shopping frontages (Policy BE4). This also limits takeaways to 6% of town centre frontages or 15% of neighbourhood parades and a gap of at least two other premises between takeaways.

We had a local evidence base (getting a bit old now) undertaken by health colleagues that amongst other things interviewed school children which showed the higher propensity to consume takeaways when they were more readily accessible to school premises. We also have a very significant obesity issue with children, much higher than the national average. Camden who didn’t have a similar evidence base were not successful in getting a similar policy in place through their examination in 2016/17. The views of Inspectors nationally considering appeals seems to vary, with some seeming to support such policies whilst others consider that the offer at other adjacent shops, e.g. availability of confectionary in newsagents means takeaways are no worse, or limiting operating hours to outside school times as an alternative.

I’m sure our health colleagues would like to go further than our current policies.

Tom Campbell at Hillingdon who is chair of the London Policy officers might be able to circulate your request to that wider group for you.

Paul Courtine, modified 11 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 29/03/21 Recent Posts

My utopia would be where people are free to make their own choices without interference from people who presume to know best.

Angela Hands, modified 11 Months ago.

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 25/09/18 Recent Posts

Hi Georgina. 

I agree with Ric's comments above. Please can I suggest you post your query to the Healthy Places Khub, where you will encounter many colleagues working on this agenda.  Home - Healthy Places (Office for Health Improvement and Disparities) - Knowledge Hub (khub.net)

I beleive there is no appetite in Government to address advertising issues in this space at present. 

There is a lack of evidence on proximity of HFTA to schools and obesity.  Please see: The impact of hot food takeaways near schools in the UK on childhood obesity: a systematic review of the evidence - PubMed (nih.gov) It is possible that the association between diet and obesity is stronger than that between HFTA and obesity, indicating that individual dietary behaviour may be a more useful target than HFTA locations. This is particularly highlighted with the increase in delivery of foods  high in fat, salt and sugar eg deliveroo. 

Angela 

Helen Willows, modified 11 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 19 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts

I have been alarmed to note that the new class E includes use for 'food and drink which is mostly consumed on the premises'. The addition of the word 'mostly' to the description of a cafe/restaurant introduces the possiblity that HFTA sales may amount to more than a de minimis amount without the need for planning permission.