Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Section 106 Agreements for Skills Training

Adrian Smith, modified 10 Months ago.

Section 106 Agreements for Skills Training

New Member Posts: 6 Join Date: 07/08/19 Recent Posts

I have been asked to write a paper on how we could potentially include provision for Employment skills training and apprenticeships within Local Plan policy, especially through legal agrements. Has anyone got any experience of good practice on this, especially on how to implement so that it meets the tests for a Section 106 agreement and is robust if challenged by developers and at appeal. Thanks.

paul lewin, modified 10 Months ago.

RE: Section 106 Agreements for Skills Training

New Member Posts: 8 Join Date: 06/04/20 Recent Posts

Hi

We've got a policy in our Plan and subsequent SPD to provide more guidance: Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document (brent.gov.uk)

If you send me an e-mail paul.lewin@brent.gov.uk i can send you a S106 that incorporates the relevant clauses.

Carolyn Williams, modified 10 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 17/06/21 Recent Posts

Morning, we have a policy and SPD on this and have been implementing thia and seeing some really good results.  Happy to have a chat with you and share info on the successes we are seeing.

Thanks Carolyn

That sounds really interesting and well done! It would be helpful to find out more if you could provide me with your contact details. Mine are adriansmith@southend.gov.uk 01702 212362

Blessings

Adrian Smith

Southend CC

Maggie Magennis, modified 10 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 6 Join Date: 22/05/11 Recent Posts

A topic that sparked my interest.  Googling S106 agreements skills training and limiting it to things from the past year brought up some stuff that could be useful to your thinking, including City of London pro forma for developers with expected outcomes for projects of different sizes (value) in terms of work experience, curriculum support engagement, etc etc  

Thanks Maggie. I appreciate your help in this and taking the time to respond. Brent replied to me and sent me an example of what they do and I'm also in contact with Preston. I did see City of London came up on a web search so I'll have a proper look now. Blessings, Adrian

Magdalena Kotyza, modified 9 Months ago.

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 07/11/22 Recent Posts

Hello, Lambeth has been succesfully securing employemnt and skills obligations since 2015 which is when the relevant policy was included in the Local Plan for the first time. The current Local Plan from 2021 also has it (ED15) - see https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2021-09/Lambeth%20Local%20Plan%202021.pdf. This includes securing Employemnt and Skills Plans on sites and a financial contriubution. The formula for financial contribution is in Annex 9 of the LP. Happy to share exacomples of s106s etc if useful. Hope this helps.

Adrian Smith, modified 9 Months ago.

Thanks so much for getting in touch, Magdalena. I appreciate it. It would be great to see a couple of copies of redacted Section 106's. Do you have any issues with developers complaining about viability and are your DM people happy with applying your approach? It seems like a good way of demonstrating that planning is delivering tangible benefits for local people. My email is adriansmith@southend.gov.uk

Benjamin Vickers, modified 8 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 6 Join Date: 02/12/22 Recent Posts

I recall Camden secured a Construction Skills Centre as part of its S106 with Argent to help deliver Kings Cross. 

It worked for both parties. The community in Somerstown was one of the most deprived in the borough. There are particular skills associated with building high rise which developers found difficult to source. 

Link: Construction Camden Portal

Hope this helps. 

Adrian Smith, modified 8 Months ago.

Thanks very much, benjamin

Much appreciated.