Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Local Plans and Gypsies and Travellers

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

Local Plans and Gypsies and Travellers

Can anybody point me towards specific examples of Local Plans that have been thrown out/held up by the Inspector based upon their failure to account for Gypsy and Traveller needs?

Andrew Chalmers, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Local Plans and Gypsies and Travellers

Advocate Posts: 169 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

It would be worth checking out progress on Chorley Borough Council Local Plan (effectively a site allocations and development management policies plan).  The Inspector found the plan sound with the exception of the traveller issue, based on concerns over evidence and lack of site allocations.  An interim report was issued which I've attached.  The examination re-opened about a week ago and you can check out the examination site for the latest.  My understanding is that Chorley is carrying out a short term fix through this plan but will need to do more evidence based work, the implications of which will be dealt with through a separate traveller plan. 

http://chorley.gov.uk/Pages/AtoZ/Examination-news.aspx

Bolton has successfully completed its Site Allocations Plan examination recently and the Inspector here was perfectly happy that traveller issues were dealt with in a separate plan.