Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Self-build and permanent traveller pitches

Catherine Denning-Johnson, modified 6 Months ago.

Self-build and permanent traveller pitches

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 23/05/11 Recent Posts

Query: should proposals to develop a permanent traveller pitch also be treated as self build proposals when applying planning policies and subsequently monitoring if granted and built out? I can't find anything in the Regs to suggest they should not be.

richard white, modified 6 Months ago.

RE: Self-build and permanent traveller pitches

Advocate Posts: 212 Join Date: 26/11/18 Recent Posts

You might be stretching the point, but I think you're right that there is nothing in the regs to exclude caravans per se

But if the only element of self build was e.g. laying a slab and parking a caravan on it, and the caravan itself is a standard mass market van, is that really self build?

Catherine Denning-Johnson, modified 6 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 23/05/11 Recent Posts

It's a puzzle isn't it.  As self build can include modular and temporary builds (eg, shipping container conversions), I'd suggest logic dictates yes.  But have not yet come across confirmation.

Mary Elkington, modified 5 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 23 Join Date: 14/11/14 Recent Posts

I think not. The NPPG is clear that:

Off-plan housing, homes purchased at the plan stage prior to construction and without input into the design and layout from the buyer, are not considered to meet the definition of self-build and custom housing.

So I can’t see how a Caravan could possibly count.  There is a natural language definition of self build where the occupant is substantially involved in construction of the dwelling – but again just decking & landscaping etc wouldn’t count.

The reference to containers is presumably from Grand Designs – Using container ‘panels’ as part of a construction is not the same as living in a container and calling it a self build.

The reference to temporary buildings seems very tenuous – I assume you’re thinking of a rural workers self build dwelling with a reinstatement clause (again from the old GD episode for woodland worker).  This would be a very rare case, and self build would need to be substantiated via the s106 that secures the reinstatement.

richard white, modified 5 Months ago.

But then I remember my parents' experience when they retired and purchased a new park home. The basic shell was 'off the shelf' but everything else - the number and position of internal walls, the plumbing and heating layout, lighting, flooring, fit and finish was all custom spec. But then many other park homes - even bought new - are entirely off the shelf from the manufacterer.

richard white, modified 5 Months ago.

And for a little light relief, would this count as 'self build' or 'out of the box'?

https://youtube.com/shorts/X0xMTsArEIc?si=0YpPzIWN_LQBmiQW