Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

CIL alongside review of Local Plan

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

CIL alongside review of Local Plan

Hi all,

We are proposing to work up CIL alongside the review of our Local Plan, and are hoping to have the examination at the same time. Can anyone point me towards any authorities that have had a charging schedule approved when preparing at the same time as a new Local Plan, or are nearing the end of the process of doing this.

Thanks Ashley

Andrea King, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: CIL alongside review of Local Plan

Enthusiast Posts: 76 Join Date: 19/08/13 Recent Posts
Ashley, I'm aware Durham County Council are going through their Local Plan examination at present, with a 3-stage hearings process: strategic part of the plan is currently underway, with separate hearing sessions on site allocations components (part of the same Plan document, not a separate DPD) and then CIL to follow over the next few months.  I presume they submitted their CIL and Local Plan alongside each other, hence the combined examination - see http://durhamcc-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal/planning/ for their examination info.
thumbnail
Jo Witherden, modified 9 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 33 Join Date: 21/10/11 Recent Posts
Just got the dates for our local plan and CIL examination through, with hearings late November to early December.  This is for a joint plan and 2 separate charging schedules for the 2 council areas covered (West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland) - https://www.dorsetforyou.com/localplanexamination/west/weymouth 

Many thanks.

Jo - any tips on preparing the evidence base? At what stage did you commission CIL/whole plan viability work?

We are at quite early stages, and are probably most concerned about the issue of Local Plan deliverability - signficant infrastructure requirement and potentially not enough CIL and other confirmed funding, and also the potential timing of infrastructure delivery and local plan development trajectory.

Any other advice from your experiences would be gratefully received.

Good luck with the examination.

Many thanks

Ashley

PAS have consultants that can help local authorities developing their CIL - at no charge to the authority- please look at our web page http://www.pas.gov.uk/web/pas1/39-cil-direct-support/-/journal_content/56/332612/15080/ARTICLE. So if you are a local authority seeking help , reassurance or a critical friend contact me Gilian.Macinnes@local.gov.uk at PAS. Our consultant have very wide experience of working with different authorities, including those working up a plan and CIL in tandem. We can generally tailor the support to whatever stage you have reached.
thumbnail
Jo Witherden, modified 9 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 33 Join Date: 21/10/11 Recent Posts
Hi Ashley  - it would probably be easier to know I was giving good tips or advice after we know whether the plan and CIL gets through the examination!

The timescales and political changes in terms of some of our key sites have been the most challenging aspect – our pre-submission draft was June 2012 and we had viability work done in the run-up to that, we submitted a year later (with changes to some of our more strategic sites and supplementary viability work) and were held up a further year on having to re-run our SHMA and SHLAA following an exploratory meeting.  Our viability evidence today is therefore not as up to date as it could be – but we are at least in a position where economically things are looking better, so the viability outputs we have at least can be seen as even more conservative than the likely reality.  If the economy had declined I think we may have felt it best to re-run the viability evidence yet again.  Also 2 years is quite a long time in terms of IDP and Reg 123 lists, so these are being refreshed.  Not to mention in changes to CIL legislation...

We have had external consultants help with the viability appraisal work at the previous stages and are using them for the examination.  This was even though we had a RICS qualified s106 and viability expert in-house, he advised that it was more practical to out-source this element – and a good thing given turnover in staffing as it has turned out – even I have now left the council to set up independently!

Hope this helps - Jo