Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Neighbourhood Plans for smaller settlements / villages

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

Neighbourhood Plans for smaller settlements / villages

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any adopted, or emerging, neighbourhood plans for small villages / countryside parishes, that are not planning for significant amounts of development?

I'm working with the Parish Council for a small rural village who are keen to prepare a Neighbourhood Development Plan.The Local Plan's policies for the Village defines a development limit, and supports new housing (usually comprising a single dwelling), affordable housing, new and/or enhanced local services and facilities and economic development within it. The Parish Council, and the overwhelming majority of the villagers who responded to their recent questionnaire are happy with this approach, and so they are not looking to use the NDP to promote additional development / guide residential development in the way most NDPs I'm aware of are.

They are at an early stage in the process, but are are potentially interested in using it to look at things such as enhancing (and potentially extending) the public right of way network and the local footpaths, making use of the local river for energy generation, or enhance the protection the Local Plan offers to the high quality landscapes / nature conservation sites / green spaces in the Parish.

They are keen to see some examples of NDPs from similar small places to try and get a better understanding of what a NDP would do / what they look like; the examples I have are all from bigger places and are generally housing focussed, and so if anyone out there was aware of something that might be of interest to them it would be much appreciated!

Caroline

David English, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Neighbourhood Plans for smaller settlements / villages

New Member Posts: 10 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi Caroline,

You might want to look at some of the proposed policies in the Allendale Neighbourhood Plan.  We've been helping the Parish Council prepare their plan which has been submitted to the County Coiuncil and is awaiting examination.  See link to our website: http://northumberland-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal/planning/np/allendale/andp.  This includes policies covering development in an AONB; small scale renewable energy schemes; and Local Green Space designation.  We're hoping to appoint an Examiner very soon so should know whether the policies stand up to scrutiny by end of the year (fingers crossed!).  Hope this helps

David.

Daniel Hudson, modified 9 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 121 Join Date: 25/04/12 Recent Posts
It rather begs the question - if the Local Plan is managing development to the satisfaction of the Community, why they need a neighbourhood plan at all. If they are looking at something that is purely focused on environment and community issues, to do this through a Neighbourhood Plan is probably overkill and a non-statutory community-based plan might be more appropriate and less demanding to prepare. 

Hi,

Thanks David, that looks very useful. Good luck with the examination!

Daniel - yes, I agree that a community plan or parish plan (rather than an NDP) could be an alternative way forward and is something that they are also considering. The Parish Council are keen not to rule out either option at this early stage, and should be in a better position to decide on this once they have considered the responses to their consultation and have a better idea what they want to get out of any plan. There are obviously potential benefits (and drawbacks) associated with both options, and I think one of the things that will help them make this decision is seeing some good examples of both types of plans prepare for rural villages such as theirs.

Many thanks,

Caroline

Helen Chadwick, modified 9 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 17 Join Date: 14/01/14 Recent Posts

Hi

We have just had Billesdon Neighbourhood Plan made. Billesdon is a rural village that is intended to accept some development. There is a housing element, but I am sure that they have done a significant amount around green spaces, keeping services etc. I am sure it would be useful. Billesdon has a population of around 900.

We do have some other parishes interested, but these are all at an early stage.

http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/billesdon/neighbourhood-plan.html

Hope this is useful

Helen

Hi Helen

I'm not sure if you are aware of the Neighbourhood Planning map http://neighbourhoodplanner.org.uk.

This is a free-to-use tool for adding/updating information about NPAs where data is crowd-sourced from the community, whether that it planners, elected members or people involved in creating the neighbourhood plan.

Billesdon is on the map, but the data needs updating, in particular the status chage to 'referrendum passed'.

Get in touch if you have any questions.

Vicky