Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Written Ministerial Statement on energy efficiency

Roger Ranson, modified 3 Months ago.

Written Ministerial Statement on energy efficiency

New Member Posts: 10 Join Date: 07/04/20 Recent Posts

I am interested to know how local authorities are proposing to respond to the WMS in setting Local Plan policies for energy efficiency in new development, particularly taking account of the statement issued by the TCPA - https://www.tcpa.org.uk/resources/the-13-december-2023-wms-and-local-plan-policy-for-net-zero/

We have just completed our Reg 18 consultaton and so now contemplating what to take forward with respect to energy efficiency at Reg 19.

Andrew Chalmers, modified 3 Months ago.

RE: Written Ministerial Statement on energy efficiency

Advocate Posts: 169 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Roger I don' t know if this assists but here the Greater Manchester Joint Plan Places for Everyone has been going through its examination with main modifications out before Christmas.  The WMS was however explicitly raised by the inspector and further modifications put to them in response on JP-S2 Carbon and Energy.  MIght be worth a look at this and how GM has tackled the matter. 

Further-Main-Mods_ISSUED_160124.pdf (hwa.uk.com)

You can find all about the plan at Places For Everyone - Greater Manchester Combined Authority (greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk).  

We are anticipating the final report very soon hopefully - this will set I assume set out the inspectors' reasoning in response to the WMS and how our approach has taken this into account in plan making.

Roger Ranson, modified 3 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 10 Join Date: 07/04/20 Recent Posts

Thanks Andrew - the issue raised by the TCPA (and others such as LETI) is whether the use of the TER as set out in the WMS is really fit for purpose.  Will have a look at the detail of what is set out in the MMs.

Best wishes

Roger

Andrew Chalmers, modified 3 Months ago.

I think at this stage in the examination, so close to getting to final report, the focus was compliance and implications of the WMS rather than wondering if it actually makes any real sense.  I'm not a carbon expert at all but there will be others out there who are.  Regards. 

Helen Miller, modified 2 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 8 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi Andrew, thanks for sharing the links to the GM main mods which is really helpful. Please could I ask if there is also some further evidence on how GM have addressed the viability part of the WMS and if so I would be very grateful if you could share a link to it. We have similar problems at Leeds but we havent submitted yet so have an opportunity to come up with a WMS compliant policy.

Many thanks, Helen

Andrew Chalmers, modified 2 Months ago.

Helen this is complicated but you may get a start by looking at evidence used to justify the policy and viability.  Probably worth a look at viability evidence and Carbon studies including the topic paper on the GMCA supporting documents page at: Supporting Documents 2021 - Greater Manchester Combined Authority (greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk), viability under 3 plan-wide and Carbon related work under 4.

Things evolve during the examination so probably worth getting a feel of how the inspectors' questions were addressed through matters statements including M6.1 and also GMCA 21.1.  A link to all documentation is on the examination webpage at:GMCA – Places For Everyone Joint DPD | Helen Wilson Consultancy Limited (hwa.uk.com)

And further changes were made post WMS as further additional modifications:  Further-Main-Mods_ISSUED_160124.pdf (hwa.uk.com) but this was more about the relationship with building regulations.

I think it was my policy colleagues at Tameside who led on this area of the plan so perhaps making contact there might assist in more detail.

Helen Miller, modified 2 Months ago.

New Member Posts: 8 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Thanks Andrew that's really helpful

richard white, modified 2 Months ago.

Advocate Posts: 212 Join Date: 26/11/18 Recent Posts